In present construction scenario, concrete block are well-accepted masonry unit to build foundations, walls, arches and corbels, etc. A typical concrete block is equivalent to 4.5 bricks, thus construction is faster than with other masonry units. The mortar used is also less which results in cost saving. Concrete blocks have been extensively used in combination with conventional roofing systems like RCC, RBC, GI sheets, ACC sheets etc. They are also compatible with other materials like fired bricks, dressed stone and compressed earth blocks for composite wall construction.
The Product Specifications and the characterizations of concrete block depend upon design mix and the machine used to manufacture the block. The most common size of solid concrete block is 300x200x150mm. The basic raw material is cement, fine aggregate and coarse aggregate. The mechanised compaction and vibration, gives the block high quality, inspite of the lean mix, which uses very little cement. Weight of an average concrete block is about 18-20 kgs. Concrete block can be surface engineered by using pieces of stone or ceramic waste on their face.
Area of Application :
Concrete block have various types like; solid, hollow, paving, treeguard blocks, and each of them are available in various shapes and sizes. This vast range of products offers a large market for application.
In load bearing structures - low rise residential and office buildings, bungalows, shelter units for rural housing, highway constructions, institutional buildings, godowns and warehouses etc.
In frame structures – High rise residential apartments, office buildings, market complexs, hospitals and hotels etc.
As ground laying units – interlocking paving blocks for roadside walkways, garden pathways, curb stones, exhibition grounds, fuel pumping stations, movement corridors, high traffic movement areas like : bus and train stations etc.
Specific usage areas: tree guard blocks for road side and garden tree plantations.
Advantages of Concrete Block :
- Cost effective compared to other traditional walling systems.
- High quality – high strength, uniform size and shape.
- Energy efficient - Does not require any non-renewable resources for production.
- Environmental friendly - Utilizes wastes and local resources.
- Structural performance can be engineered as per application.
- Decentralized production – allows both factory and on-site production.
- Machine production provides smooth finish which offers savings on further cement plaster etc.
- Semi mechanized process produces high quality material and provide adequate working opportunities